Note: These instructions are for the old Service Portal. Unless you are maintaining the old version, we recommend using the guide for Service Portal v2.
The Service Portal WordPress plugin lets you give your customers a portal to their service history and upcoming services in ServiceTrade, directly from your website.
Through the Service Portal, your customers will be able to see:
- a listing of today's appointments,
- a listing of upcoming appointments
- a listing of recently completed jobs (past 90 days) at all of their locations.
Service Portal users may click on any job to see the Service Link for that job, even if you have not sent the Service Link for that job to them. To see how Service Link works and which types of information is displayed on a Service Link, please review this article.
- Your website MUST be a WordPress site
- WordPress version 4.0 or above
- PHP version 5.5 or above
- Your ServiceTrade account level must be Premium (includes API support)
- Your WordPress site must be able to send emails (using wp_mail() or an email plugin). Contact your website developer for assistance if your site cannot currently send emails.
- Your WordPress user account must be able to install, activate, and edit plugins. Contact your website developer for assistance if your WordPress user account does not have these capabilities.
How to install the plugin:
1. Download the plugin ZIP file from http://extensions.servicetrade.com, under "WordPress Plugins".
2. Log into your WordPress site as an administrator. Usually, the web address for administering your WordPress portal will be something like http://www.yourwebsite.com/wp-admin (replace "www.yourwebsite.com" with your actual website address).
3. In the WordPress menu, click Plugins.
4. Click the "Add New" button at the top of the screen.
5. Click the "Upload Plugin" button at the top of the screen.
6. Click the file chooser button and select the plugin ZIP file that you downloaded in step 1 from your computer, then click "Install Now".
7. Click "Activate Plugin". You will be returned to the plugin list page.
8. Under Service Portal (previously named "ServiceTrade Customer Portal") on the plugin list, click "API Settings".
9. Enter your ServiceTrade username and password, and the email address that should receive notifications when your customers request access to the Service Portal and click "Save Configuration". IMPORTANT: The ServiceTrade username and password that you enter should be assigned an administrator role. We recommend that you create an administrator user in your ServiceTrade account specifically for WordPress to use. Consider a self-explanatory username such as "mycompany.serviceportal" or similar.
10. In the WordPress menu, click "Appearance", then click "Widgets".
11. Drag the Service Portal login widget to the screen section on which you wish for the Service Portal login box to appear. If you're not sure where to put it, contact your website designer.
Your Service Portal is now installed!
IMPORTANT: How customer access works:
After the Portal is installed, your customers may request access to the Service Portal by clicking "Request an account" on the Service Portal plugin.
You will receive a notification email whenever a customer requests access to the Service Portal. To approve (or reject) their request:
The Service Portal finds your customers by searching in your ServiceTrade contact records for the customer's email address.
- If the customer's email address matches one or more company-level contact email addresses in ServiceTrade, they will be able to see jobs at locations under those companies.
- If the customer's email address matches one or more location-level contacts in ServiceTrade, they will only be able to see jobs for those locations.
If your customer's email address matches both company and location-level contacts in ServiceTrade, the customer will be able to see jobs at all the locations for which they are a contact, AND jobs at all locations belonging to all the companies for which they are a contact.
How to upgrade the plugin:
- First, you will need to back up your users. Login into your Wordpress Admin backend.
- Go to your list of Plugins and click "Manage Users" for the ServiceTrade Customer Portal plugin.
- Click "Export All Users" and save the resulting CSV file to your computer.
- Go back to the Wordpress list of plugins and click "Deactivate" for the ServiceTrade Customer Portal plugin.
- Click "Delete" to remove the plugin.
- Follow the instructions below to install the updated version.
- Once the new portal plugin is installed, go to the "Manage Users" page again.
- Under the "Import Users" section, click "Choose File" and choose the exported CSV file of user accounts from step 3.
- Click "Import Users" and the user accounts should be restored and active.
User management & password resets:
- It is not possible to change user passwords for the Service Portal at this time. We will add this ability soon.
- If you receive such a request, you will need to delete the user and ask them to request a new account.
- Varnish caching with default settings is incompatible with this plugin at this time. If you wish to use Varnish and the Service Portal on the same site, you must install this custom Varnish config file.
- Service Portal users should not have the same email address as a ServiceTrade user. This typically happens when someone wants to test the portal / see what the customer sees. When doing so, create a test user with some other email than the one associated with your ServiceTrade account.
Troubleshooting and FAQ:
I am unable to install the plugin.
- Please carefully walk back through the installation steps above.
I am being asked for API settings.
- Recheck installation steps 8 and 9 above.
My Service Portal page looks different than I expect it to.
- Consult with your web designer, as the Service Portal uses your CSS.
I am not getting notifications when new users sign up.
- Check step 8 above.
How do I customize the look of the Portal?
- Your web developer should be familiar with CSS and able to customize fonts, colors, etc.
Can I change the content of the notification email that is sent when I approve an account?
- Not at this time, but we will add this in the future.
Why are there settings for invoices, but my customers do not seem to be able to see invoices?
- Invoices are not yet supported in the Portal, but will be in the near future.
How to I upload documents to the portal?
- Understand that on the Portal we are showing what is essentially a collection of Service Links. This article covers Service Link in full.
How do I start using the Service Portal before I have created a Wordpress Site?
- Understand that the Portal is a Wordpress plugin, and that having a Wordpress site up and running is the first requirement.
- If you do not wish to display a portal login widget or portal content across your site, or you do not wish to change your site to Wordpress, you may consider creating a standalone Wordpress site solely for the purposes of the portal. This could be something like portal.mycompany.com or client.mycompany.com. You could then link to the dedicated portal site from your main page or navbar.