ServiceTrade users have long been able to control the level of detail about line items that their customers see when creating quotes. With today's release, that capability has been extended to invoices as well.
To control the line item detail level on an invoice, simply edit that invoice and adjust the new 'Detail Level' option in the invoice header:
The available options are:
- Line Items with Prices - Shows your customer the item code and description, unit price, quantity, and total price for each individual item. A grand total for all items is shown. This is the default.
- Line Items with Grand Total Only - Shows your customer the item code and description, and quantity, but not the unit price or total price for each individual item. A grand total for all items is shown.
- Grand Total Only - Only a grand total is shown. Invoice items are not shown at all.
- Summarize by Line Item Type - A total price for each item type group ('Part', 'Labor', 'Fee', etc is shown). Individual item item codes, descriptions, unit prices, and quantities are not shown. A grand total for all items is shown.
The invoice visibility level setting affect the way your customer sees ServiceTrade invoices generated in the following ways:
- Invoice print view - this is shown when you click Print on any invoice
- Invoice email view - this is shown when you click Send -> Send to Email and email an invoice to your customer.
By default, all newly invoices will be created with the 'Line Items with Prices' detail level. However, you can change your account's default invoice visibility setting by going to your Account Settings page and changing the Invoice visibility level in the 'Default Visibility' section:
Invoices created from jobs that were created from quotes will still receive your account's default invoice visibility level, regardless of the visibility level of the quote. For instance, if you create a quote with a 'Grand Total Only' item visibility level, but your account setting for invoice visibility is 'Line Items with Prices', then invoices for jobs created from that quote will show line items with price detail. To make quotes and invoices show the same level of detail to your customer, you should choose the same option for both the quote default visibility and invoice default visibility settings.
VERY IMPORTANT: These visibility levels DO NOT affect QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Online, and Sage Intacct invoice integrations. All invoices are sent to those accounting systems with full line item detail, regardless of your invoice visibility setting. If you wish to control the amount of detail shown to your customers on invoices generated out of those accounting systems, you should configure your invoice templates in the accounting system appropriately.