Using ServiceTrade with an External System allows you to identify a ServiceTrade entity via your External system identifier, or External ID. The External ID can also be used to look up an entity in ServiceTrade using Universal Search (the search the top bar of ServiceTrade.)
This article will cover how to set up your ServiceTrade account to use an External System and External IDs.
Note: External IDs will also be included in data exports and API results.
ServiceTrade Entities that Support External IDs
- Job Items
- Lib Items
Creating an External System
- While logged in as an Account Admin, open your Account Settings.
- On the right-hand side of the settings screen, click Add an External System.
- External IDs require a system name and a system label.
Adding an External ID
Once an External System is set up, can begin adding External IDs on various entities within ServiceTrade.
- Click the Blue Chain Link Button on the desired entity page.
- Enter the External ID in the field provided.
Note: External IDs must be unique.
- Example: If you had an external system called "UPS Tracking Number", a given tracking number 1Z893674502 may only be used once in ServiceTrade. This eliminates the chance of error.
- If you need a way to put the same sort of extra identifier on many different objects in ServiceTrade, consider using a tag instead.