Items represent parts, services, labor, fees, and other charges you would place on quotes, jobs, and/or quotes as line items. ServiceTrade offers an item library used to help build quotes, jobs, and invoices.
Creating a New Item
1. Begin by clicking the My Account button in the navigation bar, followed by Items in the menu below.
2. A new page will appear. Click "Create Item" to begin.
3. The next page will provide a series of text fields for providing information about your items.
- Item Code - an internal code used by your company, potentially used for inventory purposes or identification in your accounting program.
- Item Description - (required) a human-readable description of the item. This will appear on quotes, jobs, invoices, etc.
- Service Line - the in-account Service Line associated with the item.
- Specific to Company - use this field if this item is used only for a particular customer in your account.
- Type - (required) a list of possible item types: Part, Material, Labor, Equipment, Inspection, Service, Subcontractor, Fee, General Conditions, or Other.
- Standard Cost - the amount that your company typically pays for the item.
- Taxable - check this box if you wish for this item to be taxed on invoices.
- Active - check this box if the item is one that your company actively uses.
4. Once you have provided the desired information, click the green "Save" button below the text fields to add the item to your account.
How do I delete an item?
To delete an item:
- Navigate to your item list.
- Click and item description to edit.
- Set the item status to inactive.
This will hide the item everywhere in ServiceTrade (except when specifically searching the item list for inactive items).
How do I make an item have multiple service lines?
- You must make one item per service line, such as "Labor" (Sprinkler), "Labor" (Alarm).
- Item codes must be unique. However, you can use the same description as many times as you like.
I updated an item in the master item list, and it did not change on my job/quote/invoice.
- If you change an item description or taxability, nothing changes on past jobs. The old description is retained.
- It is highly recommended not to change item service lines unless you are sure they are not in use on open jobs. Consider making an additional (new) item if you need to use a different service line.
- If you make an item inactive, it cannot be searched for in the item fields on jobs, quotes, invoices, etc. If it is already on a past job/invoice/etc., it is retained (so nothing breaks).