ServiceTrade provides several non-editable standard roles. Roles are sets of permissions that control what a user can do in ServiceTrade. Roles usually correspond loosely with a job title or role within a company, such as "scheduler" or "manager".
There are often cases where you may wish to create custom roles.
Creating a Custom Role
- Hover your cursor over My Account in the main menu bar, then click Roles.
- Click Create Role.
- In the Role Name field, type a short, memorable description of what this role will entail.
- In the Description field, type a more detailed description of the role's permissions.
- Click Save.
- Now you can grant Activities, to your custom role. From the activities list, you can choose to grant your role as many, or as few permissions as you'd like.
- When finished granting activities to our custom role (or revoking undesired activities), click Save.
- You can go back and add or remove Activities to your custom roles at any time. You can also see which users are currently granted this particular role.
- To grant this new, custom role to users in your account, hover your cursor over My Account in the main menu bar, then click Users in the submenu.
- Click the username of the user(s) to whom you'd like to grant this new role.
- Choose the Role Name of your custom role from the drop-down menu under the 'Roles' bar, then click Assign Role.
- Clicking Assign Role automatically saves the role you have just edited. You can now continue to create new custom roles and/or continue to assign your new role to additional users.
Note: When creating new Technician users, they will automatically be assigned the most recent Role containing the activity “Perform Job as a Tech”. Your custom-created Role, being the newest in the account, will be the default role assigned to all newly-created Technicians.
Deleting a Custom Role
- You must be an admin user or have the "manage roles" activity.
- The role cannot be assigned to anyone, not even an inactive user. In the edit role page, you may view all users currently assigned that role.
- When both above conditions are met, a red delete button is available on the edit role page.
Where can I see a list of all activities?
- Check out the "Account Admin" role. It has all activities and describes what each one does.
Why can't I edit a role?
- You are probably trying to edit one of our standard roles, such as "Account Admin" or "Account Scheduler". These cannot be edited. You can copy them into a new role however, then edit the new role as you wish.