ServiceTrade allows you to add any number of custom PDF documents to appear on Jobs. The rules you define for blank paperwork will determine how the system builds all of the necessary paperwork for any given job. You can easily have a document appear on all jobs, and have another document appear only for Extinguisher Inspections.
Creating Blank Paperwork for ServiceTrade:
1. Prepare your PDF form using PDF Editing Software (we use Adobe Acrobat DC.)
- Using the "Prepare form" mode, let Acrobat DC scan for potential fillable fields.
- Manually delete incorrect fillable fields. Manually draw missing ones. Manually edit ones that are too small/large, or the wrong kind (text field instead of a checkbox)
- Name relevant fields using the ServiceTrade naming conventions.
- Add metadata using the custom properties function (if applicable).
- Save the form. Then fully test the behavior of your form, filling it out. Do not save the "completed" version.
2. Define paperwork rules:
The first thing you'll need to do is log in to the ServiceTrade web application and define the rules for your documents.
- To have a document appear only for a specific customer, enter in a customer name.
- To have a document appear only for a specific job type, choose a job type.
- To have a document appear only for a specific service, choose a service line.
- You can have "deep rules" that use combinations of the above parameters.
4. Click "Save."
5. Upload a PDF document to the rule by clicking either "Upload Paperwork" under the rule you created, or by clicking the small icon that looks like a box with an arrow coming out of it to the right of the rule you created.
3. Test your blank paperwork:
Now, whenever you create a job that matches the rule(s) you have defined, the appropriate sets of paperwork will be added to the job under the "Blank Paperwork ->Print" option (near the top of the job page), and also under "Generate Blank Paperwork" in the tablet app. Use either option to pre-fill forms and to test forms that you have created or recently changed.
Testing should include:
- Make sure all checkboxes and radio buttons work.
- Make sure all text fields behave as expected (multi-line, scrolling, etc).
- Make sure signature fields work.
- Make sure ServiceTrade fillable fields work as expected.
- If using repeatAsset or repeatService custom metadata, make sure the correct # of copies are generated.
Note: At the bottom left of the job page, there is an option to "Show rule-driven blank paperwork". This is meant to inform you at a glance of which forms will attach to this job, and why (explanation offered on hovering over.)
Fillable Form Support Articles
- Making Blank Paperwork Repeat Dynamically
- Making Blank Paperwork Use Only Job Assets
- Using Subassets with Blank Paperwork
- Accessing Asset-Specific Fillable Fields in ServiceTrade
Are customers able to edit forms that are filled out by techs after we upload them?
- If you are using our Blank Paperwork system to fill out digital forms in the field as part of the Work Acknowledgement, you might have noticed that the PDFs your customers download from the email are still editable.
- Don't worry. The form you've left behind cannot be changed. Once the Work Acknowledgement is signed, the form that is attached to the Work Acknowledgement is not alterable. The customer can download a copy of it, and change the copy, but they cannot change the original that was sent to them as part of the Work Acknowledgement.
- If there are ever any questions, you, your customer, (or the Fire Marshall!) can always reference the original.
Why does the form I uploaded to the Blank Paperwork admin page have a yellow triangle next to it?
There are several reasons that your PDF might not be viewable in ServiceTrade:
- The PDF is encrypted. Solution: Remove the encryption (most PDF tools can do this).
- The PDF is password-protected. Solution: Remove the password protection (most PDF tools do this).
When I open a PDF it either looks wrong, or I cannot edit it, or my edits do not save.
- If opening a PDF form with the intention of filling it, use Adobe Acrobat Reader, Apple Preview, or similar stand-alone PDF filler/annotator software.
- The built-in PDF preview that is found inside of your web browser is not sufficient, nor will it save your entries.
How can I re-order my blank paperwork?
- There is no drag & drop support for this at the moment. We plan to add this in the future.