For the initial Web Connector setup process, you must be logged into QuickBooks as the Admin user...
and you must be in Single user mode.
Before you begin the below setup steps, you should:
- Back up the QuickBooks company file
- Make sure you are using a supported version of QuickBooks Desktop
- Update QuickBooks Desktop - see Intuit's guide here.
Steps to connect ServiceTrade to QuickBooks:
- Log into a ServiceTrade account (Your user must be an admin), click your account-Avatar (top-right of the screen) -> then click 'Account Settings'.
NOTE: This User MUST remain active in your ServiceTrade account in order for the integration to remain connected. It's recommended that you create a dedicated "integration user" that is solely in your account to keep the integration connected. You will lose all integration connections/settings if this user is ever deactivated in your account. Again, make sure this user is set up as an Admin.
- On the right side of this page, click the 'Add an External System' button.
- Select 'QuickBooks' from the 'Type' dropdown menu
- Enter a System Name & System Label, following the naming criteria described above these fields. (Example System Name = 'quickbooks' and System Label = 'QuickBooks'). Click Save.
- On the next screen you'll select how to connect. For QuickBooks Desktop connections choose 'Connect using the WebConnector'
- The next screen will present you with more steps for the connection. Please read through before you move forward. Once you've read through these steps click 'Download QWC'. This will initiate a download of the QuickBooks WebConnector ServiceTrade Application. If your computer prompts you to open the downloaded file, select 'open file'. if your computer does not prompt you, find the file on your customer and double click to open.
- QuickBooks will open an authorization screen allowing you to tell QuickBooks you authorize the connection between ServiceTrade and your QuickBooks company file. Click 'OK'
- QuickBooks will then ask you how and when you'd like for QuickBooks to allow ServiceTrade to access your company file. Choose 'Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running' then click 'Continue...'
Note: Do not check the "Allow this application to access personal data such as Social Security Numbers and customer credit card information."
- QuickBooks WebConnector will then open as its own window and you'll see the ServiceTrade Web Connector application installed within.
- Click back over to your browser with the connection steps. 'Step 8' has a password needed to complete the installation of the ServiceTrade WebConnector Application. Highlight and copy that full password.
Important: Make note of this password. This screen is the only time that this password will be given, and if it is lost or forgotten, then a new integration will be needed in order to receive a new, one-time generated password.
- Click back over to the WebConnector and Paste the password into the 'Password' area. hit Enter and it will prompt you to Save the password. Click 'Save'. (Right click and paste might not work on certain machines within the connector. If this happens click into the password area and type 'CRTL + V')
- The WebConnector is now setup. After finalizing the settings in ServiceTrade you'll be able to send invoices. Click back over to your browser with the connection steps. Click the link in 'Step 9' to 'Refresh the page'.
- After the page refreshes you'll be presented with ServiceTrade specific sync settings. These settings dictate how invoices are sent over to QuickBooks from your ServiceTrade account. For an in-depth explanation of each setting click the link below to view our 'Sync Settings and Data Mapping' article.
QuickBooks Sync Settings and Data Mapping
- Once you've chosen answers to the Sync setting questions and saved, you can test the connection. Click back over to the QuickBooks WebConnector. On the left side of the ServiceTrade installed application there is a check box. Check that box then click 'Update Selected' above the application column. This will run the WebConnector for the first time. (Depending on the size of your company file the first run of the connector could take 5-10+ minutes to run).
- If the progress bars at the bottom of the WebConnector both reach 100% and the 'Last result:' shows 'Success' then you've completed the setup and ServiceTrade can now send invoices over to your QuickBooks company file.
- The 'Send' Option on a invoice in ServiceTrade will now have an extra option. This option will be to send to QuickBooks.
Non-US users of ServiceTrade only:
You will need to set up a non-taxable sales tax code in QuickBooks before sending invoices from ServiceTrade. Please see this article for more details about setting up sales tax codes.
(Some of these items may already be in place, and are for consideration only.)
- Consider planned updates to your server or desktop PC running QuickBooksWebConnector. Notify staff of when updates are to occur. Rebooting out of cycle for something truly critical.
- The server admin should understand that the QuickBooksWebConnector must be re-opened after a server reboot. They should either do this, or notify an office user that the server has been rebooted so that he or she may re-open QuickBooksWebConnector.
- The server should be pinging a monitoring service. It is fairly easy for IT to set up a system that listens for the server every, say, few minutes, and sends an email, SMS, or other notifications to interested parties in the event that it stops responding. Action can then be taken before your staff are significantly affected.