This is a reference on bulk importing tax groups into ServiceTrade.
Before you get started on completing the tax group import template, you may wish to:
- Familiarize yourself with the concept of sales tax groups in ServiceTrade.
- Review the general information on bulk importing.
There are two ways to bulk import tax groups:
- Using ServiceTrade's Sales Tax Group Import Template
- Importing sales tax data from taxrates.com.
Bulk Importing Using the ServiceTrade Sales Tax Group Import Template
The following fields are used by the sales tax group import template. All fields in the template are required.
- postal_code - the tax group's postal code (US zip code or Canadian postal code)
- state - the tax group's state or province. (Must be abbreviated to 2 characters, such as NY).
- tax_group_code - the tax group's code (maximum of 40 characters)
- name - the full name of the tax group (maximum of 100 characters)
- combined_rate - the combined sales tax rate for the tax group, as a decimal number (for instance, 7.25 means a tax rate of 7.25%)
If a tax group has multiple postal codes, you should create one row on the import file for each postal code to which the tax group belongs. Important: All columns except the postal code must be the same for all rows that belong to a single tax group.
Bulk Importing Sales Tax Group Data from taxrates.com
Get your tax rate information for free from taxrates.com
To get your state(s) tax rates from taxrates.com:
- Go to taxrates.com. Scroll until you see 'Sales Tax Rate Tables'.
- Select 'Get rate tables'.
- Select the state(s) in which you do business.
- Confirm the state(s) information that you wish to download. Click 'Next'.
- Enter your information and select 'Download rate tables' to get your free sales tax rate data
If you are in a destination-based sales tax state, you likely do not need to make any changes to the .csv file you downloaded before importing and can skip ahead to the 'Importing your tax groups' section below.
If you are in an origin-based sales tax state, and need one tax group with the estimated combined tax rate for your office location, read this article for instructions on editing the .csv file before completing the steps under 'Importing your tax groups' below.
Import your tax groups into ServiceTrade
- Go to the Sales Tax Tables List page in your ServiceTrade account. Select 'Import Tax Groups'. This pop-up window will appear.
- Select 'Import from Taxrates.com', and 'Choose File'. Select the .csv file you downloaded from taxrates.com, or your edited .csv file. (There will be one .csv file per state. You can combine multiple states into one file for upload or upload them separately.)
- Check the box to acknowledge that you understand that your upload will completely override any existing sales tax groups included in the import file. This is more important when you are editing sales tax groups that already exist in your account.
- Select 'Import Tax Groups'.
- You will receive confirmation that your upload has been successfully imported.