ServiceTrade allows you to control the line Item detail level visibility your customers see when viewing Quote or Invoice.
This article will walk you through what visibility options are available, how to select visibility on Quote or Invoice, and how to select a default visibility setting for all Invoices and Quotes.
Available Detail Level Visibility Options
Below is a list of all the available line Item detail level visibility options for Quotes and Invoices.
There is also a Group by Service version that will group your line Items by their Service association:
- Line Item Type with Detail - Summarizes Items by type (parts, material, labor, etc), while also showing some detail about the individual Items that were used. Unit prices of individual Items are not shown.
- Summarize by Line Item Type - A total price for each Item type group ('Part', 'Labor', 'Fee', etc is shown.) Individual Item codes, descriptions, unit prices, and quantities are not shown. A grand total for all Items is shown.
- Line Items with Grand Total Only - Shows your customer the Item code and description, and quantity, but not the unit price or total price for each individual Item. A grand total for all Items is shown.
- Line Items with Prices - Shows your customer the Item code and description, unit price, quantity, and total price for each individual Item. A grand total for all Items is shown. This is the default.
- Grand Total Only - Only a grand total is shown. Invoice Items are not shown at all.
- Time and Materials (No Totals) *Only available on Quotes - Your customer will see the unit price and (if you choose to provide it) the quantity of each line Item, but they will not see line Item totals or a grand total. This allows you to build Quotes without having to specify the quantities of the Items that you will use, and therefore the total price that your customer will pay, while still giving the customer visibility into the Item-level details of that Quote.
How the Invoice visibility level setting affects your customer's view
- Print view - this is shown when you click Print on any Invoice
- Email view - this is shown when you click Send -> Send to Email and email an Invoice or Quote to your customer.
Selecting a Detail Visibility Level on an Invoice or Quote
- Create or open an existing (Draft status) Invoice or Quote.
- Click + Add Parts, Labor, and Items to open the Add Items menu.
- Select your preferred visibility setting from the Detail Level for Customer: drop-down menu.
- Click Save.
Setting the Default Visibility Level on all Invoices or Quotes
This section will walk you through how to apply a default detail level visibility setting for your Quotes in Invoices.
- Click the Avatar Icon in the top right corner of ServiceTrade.
- Click Account Settings.
- Click to expand the Default Visibility accordion.
- Select the preferred default Detail Level visibility on the Quotes and Invoices drop-downs.
Note: Invoices created from Jobs that were created from Quotes will still receive your account's default Invoice visibility level, regardless of the visibility level of the Quote.
For instance, if you create a Quote with a Grand Total Only Item visibility level, your account setting for Invoice visibility is Line Items with Prices. Invoices for Jobs created from that Quote will show line Items with price detail.
To make Quotes and Invoices show the same level of detail to your customer, you should choose the same option for both the Quote default visibility and Invoice default visibility settings.
VERY IMPORTANT: These visibility levels DO NOT affect QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Online, and Sage Intacct Invoice integrations. All Invoices are sent to those accounting systems with full line Item detail, regardless of your Invoice visibility setting. If you wish to control the amount of detail shown to your customers on Invoices generated out of those accounting systems, you should configure your Invoice templates in the accounting system appropriately.