ServiceTrade allows users to control the visibility of their customers into line item detail level on a quote or invoice. To edit this visibility, select the desired level of detail from the drop down within the Parts, Labor, and Items section:
The available options are:
- Line Item Type with Detail - summarizes items by type (parts, material, labor, etc), while also showing some detail about the individual items that were used. Unit prices of individual items are not shown.
- Summarize by Line Item Type - A total price for each item type group ('Part', 'Labor', 'Fee', etc is shown). Individual item item codes, descriptions, unit prices, and quantities are not shown. A grand total for all items is shown.
- Line Items with Grand Total Only - Shows your customer the item code and description, and quantity, but not the unit price or total price for each individual item. A grand total for all items is shown.
- Line Items with Prices - Shows your customer the item code and description, unit price, quantity, and total price for each individual item. A grand total for all items is shown. This is the default.
- Grand Total Only - Only a grand total is shown. Invoice items are not shown at all.
An additional visibility level is only available on quotes:
- Time and Materials (No Totals) - Shows your customer will see the unit price and (if you choose to provide it) the quantity of each line item, but they will not see line item totals or a grand total. This allows you to build quotes without having to specify the quantities of the items that you will use, and therefore the total price that your customer will pay, while still giving the customer visibility into the item-level details of that quote.
The invoice visibility level setting affect the way your customer sees ServiceTrade invoices generated in the following ways:
Print view - this is shown when you click Print on any invoice
Email view - this is shown when you click Send -> Send to Email and email an invoice or quote to your customer.
The default visibility level can be adjusted by going to your Account Settings page and changing the visibility level in the 'Default Visibility' section:
Note: Invoices created from jobs that were created from quotes will still receive your account's default invoice visibility level, regardless of the visibility level of the quote. For instance, if you create a quote with a 'Grand Total Only' item visibility level, but your account setting for invoice visibility is 'Line Items with Prices', then invoices for jobs created from that quote will show line items with price detail. To make quotes and invoices show the same level of detail to your customer, you should choose the same option for both the quote default visibility and invoice default visibility settings.
VERY IMPORTANT: These visibility levels DO NOT affect QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Online, and Sage Intacct invoice integrations. All invoices are sent to those accounting systems with full line item detail, regardless of your invoice visibility setting. If you wish to control the amount of detail shown to your customers on invoices generated out of those accounting systems, you should configure your invoice templates in the accounting system appropriately.