This article will walk you through what an alternate key cost is and how to use it.
- What is an alternate key (User Def Key 1 and User Def Key 2) in Job Cost and how is it to ‘say ST or ServiceTrade’?
- Alternate keys in Job Cost (JC User Def Key 1 and JC User Def Key 2) allow reports and inquiries to sort data using these additional keys. For example, Job Cost allows you to print job reports by job, extra, cost code, or category. If you define one of your alternate keys as project manager, you can also sort job reports and inquiries by project manager.
To make alternate keys available to use, do the following:
- Go to the File menu, select Company Settings, and then select JC Settings.
- Select the Use user def key 1 check box to use the first sort key and select the Use user def key 2 check box if you want a second sort option.
Note: These names may be different if you changed the descriptions in Custom Descriptions (see below).
- A message appears asking if you want to upgrade your JC Master file. Click [Yes] to upgrade your file now, otherwise click [No]. The new sort options are not available until the file upgrade is done.
Note: You can also upgrade the file from the TS-Main or Sage Desktop menu later.
After the file upgrade is done, you can type information into the new sort boxes which appear in Job Cost on the General tab in Setup, Jobs.
You can change the descriptions for these field, as follows:
- From the File menu, select Company Settings, and then select Custom Descriptions.
- Scroll to JC User Def Key 1.
- In the Description box, type the new description you want.
- Repeat the above steps for JC User Def Key 2, if applicable.
- Click [OK] to save your changes.
- Remember to upgrade your JC Master file to show system changes. *All users must be out of Job Cost before upgrading files*
Note: These fields have a 30-character maximum.